You have a bookcase. And you have books. But somehow, reading still isn’t your kid’s favorite pastime – time to build a reading nook! It is very easy and will make your kids want to read all day.
With a reading nook, you create a quiet spot in your home for your kids where they can wind down from an eventful day and relax. It is a special place that is your kid’s own and allows them to read independently. A reading nook is perfect for a space that would otherwise be unused, such as a corner underneath the staircase, a little wall space, underneath a window or even in a closet. You don’t have to buy any fancy equipment to install a reading nook – all you need is some creativity! Here’s how to get started:
1) Pick the right spot. If you want the area to be bright and well lit, install the reading nook underneath or near a window. Places like the inside of a closet or the end of a staircase work well too, you just have to add some lighting. For smaller kids, make a reading nook in the living room where they can read and still be near you in case they need some help.
2) Your kids will want to sit down to read! Choose a cozy armchair, a little mattress or a beanbag to make long reading sessions comfortable. Take them with you when you go out to buy it or simply take one that you already have at home. A little bench with soft pillows on top and a bookcase next to it make a great and simple reading area!
3) Find the perfect bookcase. All Tidy Books storage solutions are designed by a mom and specially adapted to childrens’ needs – they encourage your kid to pick out books and put them back independently. The bright colored letters on the front panels add perfectly to the bookish atmosphere in your reading nook!
4) Make it cozy with pillows, rugs or cushions on the floor. Add curtains to seclude the reading space from the rest of the room and make it a special area where your kids will not be distracted.
5) Light it up: Make sure the area is well lit to make reading easy for your kids. Natural daylight is great, so a spot near a window is ideal. A reading lamp is great for cozy winter evenings.
6) Make it child-safe: make sure everything is fixed safely and nothing will fall on your kid’s head when they move while reading. This includes a safe spot to put a mug of hot chocolate or tea and a plate of cookies. How about the Tidy Books Bunk Bed Buddy? It is designed to make everything stay in place in a bunk bed but it’s perfect for a reading nook, too!
7) Accessorize: To put the finishing touches on your reading nook, add some decor! This could be some framed literary quotes hung up on the wall or some string lights for a cozy atmosphere. Paper flowers, pompoms or lampions add some color to the nook. Why not sit with your kids and make some seasonal decoration for the reading nook? They’ll love to decorate their own little space with paper leaves, snowflakes or a selfmade mobile.
Have fun creating this special place in your home – we’re sure reading will be your kids’ new favorite hobby!